Write your way in through The Backdoor – Make Travel Fair’s First Annual Travel Writer Competition.
Do you have something to say about tourism development? Are you an aspiring travel writer with a yearning to explore? Our Backdoor travel writing competition gives all budding writers, particularly those with an interest in tourism development, the chance to ‘write your way in’ to a WHL Consulting internship with unique travel writing opportunities.
This year’s theme is based on the upcoming World Cup being held in South Africa. Entries must address the following question:
“A major sporting event creates a large influx of tourism to the host destination. What are the implications and benefits of that influx of travellers to a destination like South Africa?”
How to Enter
Use our online form to submit your entry. You can upload a file containing your article or copy and paste the content into the form.
1st Prize – The winner will receive 7-nights accommodation in South Africa (valid for one year) – Choose from either Seaforth Country Lodge in the beautiful Drakensberg region of South Africa, or Chestnut Country Lodge in the Mpumalanga region just 30mins from Kruger National Park. Winners will have their article published on various websites, including Make Travel Fair and the WHL Group blog. They will also receive an offer for an internship with WHL Consulting for future tourism development projects.
2nd Prize – Second place will see their article published online and the author will receive offer of an internship with WHL Consulting.
3rd Prize – Third place winner will see their article published on various sites online.
- One (1) submission per applicant.
- Article topic must be within specified theme of competition.
- Article length should be no longer than 1,500 words.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- No cheating or copying! Any plagiarised applications will automatically be withdrawn from the competition and participants frowned upon in future competitions.
- Submitted articles must not already be published online.
- Prizes are not redeemable for cash.
- A subscription to the WHL Group newsletter is a must. You will then get the first news on the winner, future competitions and other opportunities within the group.
- Bear in mind that your audience will want to read an article that approaches the subject in an interesting manner, and one that goes further than simply answering the question.
- Creativity in your interpretation of the topic will be rewarded. Reference to personal experience often produces a more engaging piece of writing.
- Consider whether you’ve ever been present in a destination at the time of a major sporting event. You may find it helpful to refer to a personal or well known case study on the effect of sport tourism.
- Writing about the effects of an event like the World Cup from the perspective of a local travel professional could be interesting.
- Submit your entries by midnight July 25th GMT.
Meet your judges!
Please read the Terms and Conditions with care. We don’t want any mishaps!